Chelsea v Manchester United (PL) 19/01/2014 KO 16:00 GMT

The world's no.1 football league

Forum rules

While constructing criticism and banter is encouraged, abusing Chelsea FC and/or its players or getting personal with members on the forum will result in DIRECT BAN.

Chelsea v Manchester United (PL) 19/01/2014 KO 16:00 GMT

by tradu81 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:02 am

It doesn't get much bigger than this Chelsea VS Man United. We must win this match and make that slip-up draw at Old Trafford count by winning at home this time. Man united could be without Rooney and RVP although RVP is close to return so could feature. Its a huge game for both clubs, Man united won't want to lose another game and Chelsea is playing at home so pressure will be on both managers.
Mourinho will stick with what is working, Luiz may be the only player making way. I feel Mikel deserves a start after his impressive display against derby. Will Mata get a run this time, I highly doubt it unless we are losing and playing catch-up.
We must win, 3 points is crucial at this stage especially against the scum Man united.

Probable Line-up:

....................................................Cech
Azpilicueta.........................Cahill..................Terry.....................................Cole
........................................Ramires..............Mikel
Willian............................................Oscar................................................Hazard
.....................................................Torres
Forum Legend

Re: Chelsea VS Man United

by Showstopper » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:23 am

Don't think RVP will be involved as they just stated he could be out for another 6 weeks. However, Rooney could be back for next Sunday. I agree with your line-up but Mourinho may want to go with Eto'o as in the past scoring a goal didn't guarantee a start next time...And Torres didn't particularly play well against Hull despite the late goal to seal the win...

If Chelsea shows up to play from the start, we could steamroll United and even predict a 3-1 win for Chelsea. But with the crazy year the league is having, would anyone be surprised if David Moyes (with this dreadful United team) becomes the first manager to beat Mourinho at Stamford Bridge in the league? Just like Moyes couldn't win at Old Trafford with Everton and Martinez wins there in his first attempt...CRAZY!!!
"Best in the World"
First Team

Re: Chelsea VS Man United

by ChelseaFinn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:23 am

I think tradu's lineup will be the one Mou goes for. Hopefully we'll be able to keep the good run going with nothing suggesting otherwise.

Tactically it should actually be slightly easier for us to prepare for this game, since United won't come to the Bridge like the small teams in the league and park the buss. Although it'd probably be better for them to come look for a draw but they can't because 'they're United' and have to try to play. That's good for us because we're a lot better than them at that :) ... That's why I think we're going to see less of the ball than normally at home but a lot more quick attacking into spaces - something that guys like Hazard and Willian love. Breaking down teams that defend deep with everything they've got has been tricky for us but when our AMs get to run at defenders we should be well off.

The only thing we've got to really be concerned about is the horrific starts and easy mistakes we tend to make early on in games (Terry against Hull, twice). Can't really afford to give them an easy lead.
On Bench

Re: Chelsea v Manchester United (PL) 19/01/2014 KO 16:00 GMT

by Showstopper » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:00 pm

ChelseaFinn wrote:I think tradu's lineup will be the one Mou goes for. Hopefully we'll be able to keep the good run going with nothing suggesting otherwise.

Tactically it should actually be slightly easier for us to prepare for this game, since United won't come to the Bridge like the small teams in the league and park the buss. Although it'd probably be better for them to come look for a draw but they can't because 'they're United' and have to try to play. That's good for us because we're a lot better than them at that :) ... That's why I think we're going to see less of the ball than normally at home but a lot more quick attacking into spaces - something that guys like Hazard and Willian love. Breaking down teams that defend deep with everything they've got has been tricky for us but when our AMs get to run at defenders we should be well off.

The only thing we've got to really be concerned about is the horrific starts and easy mistakes we tend to make early on in games (Terry against Hull, twice). Can't really afford to give them an easy lead.

I find the the mistakes the players commit are due to a lack of concentration and/or intensity. It's all a result of players not taking the opposition seriously. Thinking they will win simply because they are more talented on paper. It took a scoreline of 0-0 at halftime against Hull for the players to realize it wasn't going to be a cakewalk to get the win.

Although Mourinho is responsible for motivating the team and getting them prepared, I don't think he can be blamed for this: he is a proven motivator at all the clubs he's been! This comes down to players' professionalism in my opinion. I keep reading news articles on a couple of players not taking training seriously (Hazard (although he is changing apparently), Cole and De Bruyne most notably). Now, I don't know how true these reports are but apparently, even Mourinho himself was attributed quotes on this subject in the news...

Look at teams like Bayern, Barcelona, Dortmund, Arsenal (before Fabregas' departure), Man United (before Fergie's retirement) and even Man City this year: Those teams play the same regardless who the opposition is/was. they are just as intense in an exhibition game against some Middle Eastern or African team! That's the greatest sign of respect to opponents and proof of professionalism. As we have a very young team, although very talented, they do not have the maturity of the above-mentioned teams (except Arsenal who had a young team at the time but had a philosophy of playing which in a way prevented them from playing any different). This will come in time but the sooner the better!

And you can tell it's down to the players as we are the only team not to have been embarrassed by another team currently sitting in the top 8 (we dominated both losses against Newcastle and Everton). Bayern didn't embarrass us in the super cup unlike Athletico last year when we thought we deserved to win just because "we better than them" or losing the club world cup. This proves that players understand the implications of matches and are struggling to show up to play against team that requires more motivation to be excited to play against...Perhaps it's the reason I look more forward to clashes against tougher competitions (Schalke, City, Bayern, etc.) than weaker ones (Steaua, Sunderland, Crystal, Hull, etc.).
"Best in the World"
First Team

by chelseafc9010 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:49 pm

I'm confident about this game, but no matter the result I just hope we come out of the blocks and attack for once, no more of this defensive football against top teams at home, we have to make them know that it is our home.
CHELSEA TILL I DIE

Blue Is The Colour, Football Is The Game
We're All Together, And Winning Is Our Aim,
So Cheer Us On Through Sun Or Rain,
Cause Chelsea, Chelsea Is Our Name!!!
Forum Legend

by Tautvydas » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:12 pm

chelseafc9010 wrote:I'm confident about this game, but no matter the result I just hope we come out of the blocks and attack for once, no more of this defensive football against top teams at home, we have to make them know that it is our home.

No matter the result? :D We must win ;)
We won't play defensively, we will play normally. Also, we have already showed to Liverpool that Stamford Bridge is our home.
SPECIAL. GENIUS. LEGEND.
Forum Legend

by tradu81 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:19 am

I personally prefer Torres over Eto to be honest. Torres knows what it means to fans and what this game is, he steps up plus after scoring against Hull it may be a confidence booster. I think Eto is a risky player to have on, he holds the ball way to much, tries to many things and can get a bit carried away as he did against Liverpool, probably lucky not to be sent off and that penalty appeal.
We are favourites at home, I don't so why we cannot win this. But our defence must remain focused and make no mistakes. They have a full week to prepare, no excuses. Ivanovic's absence is a blow, he provides us with that aerial ability which Azpi doesn't. But we have good cover nonetheless.
Forum Legend

by bola » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:44 am

Showstopper wrote:
I find the the mistakes the players commit are due to a lack of concentration and/or intensity. It's all a result of players not taking the opposition seriously. Thinking they will win simply because they are more talented on paper.

Agreed on that..
Forum Legend

by Scipion » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:28 am

Every sign is good for this game. We should be able to win this. However, I've a bad feeling. City and Arsenal are playing Cardiff and Fulham at home, so they both should get 3 points. Thus, we have to win to stay close to them.
On United forums, people seem to be confident they can draw against us. Let's see what will happen

This line-up seems to be the most likely, however, I won't be too surprised if Luiz is playing instead of Willian or Oscar (with Ramires as RW, yes it sucks).

....................................................Cech
Azpilicueta.........................Cahill..................Terry.....................................Cole
........................................Ramires..............Mikel
Willian............................................Oscar................................................Hazard
.....................................................Torres

My prediction (which will be wrong) : 2-0
On Rotation

by Kevin P » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:15 pm

I'm taking nothing for granted when it involves Man. Utd.

I expect them to turn up for this game and believe Mourinho will have worked out a game plan to defeat them.

We can't afford to be complacent and may struggle to break them down.

Good to have some time to prepare for this game.

looking forward to a Chelsea victory.
Forum Legend

Next